Monday, March 3, 2014

Fear and loathing on Aisle 7

I'll be honest here, I abhor going to the grocery store.  I think it is owned and operated by Satan himself, who is having a fantastic time watching the lot of us push our carts up and down aisle after aisle like mindless zombies.

I used to enjoy it but somewhere around the nine millionth time I went, it lost its allure.  One of the few drawbacks to being single is there is never anyone else to go, just you.  The only thing that makes it almost tolerable to me now is when the wine department is doing free tastings. 

I've tried both making a list and winging it and neither works out well.  I always get home and it's like dang it!i Forgot such and such and that was the whole reason I went in the first place.  Plus I can never stick to a list.  I'm a horrible impulse shopper, so I usually end up spending twice my budget and coming home with stuff I don't necessarily need.  I put it off as long as possible (usually when we are running low on TP, the one thing I refuse to be out of EVER) and now I go on off days and times.  Like Wednesday at 9 pm.  There are no wine tastings but there are also less assholes.  Part of the reason I don't like the store, is the people who flock there and crowd the aisles and are just so completely thoughtless and rude it makes me crazy!  I was taught to keep to the right side of the aisle and when I'm looking for something I stop opposite it and do my best to stay out of the way.  Was this a lesson only MY mother taught me?  It floors me when you are perusing a shelf and someone pushes their cart in front of you and stops.  Right. In. Front. Of. You.  Like you don't even exist.  I am so non-confrontational, I never say anything but it makes me want to flick their ear and say Hey!  Human being here!  I'm sure they would respond along the lines of oh no, I didn't see you there!  Seriously?  I'm 5'10" and not skinny so I'm pretty sure I would qualify as visible.  It blows my mind how many people lack common courtesy and are just oblivious to the world around them.

Then there is the whole, we have 30 checkout lanes but we're only going to have 4 open and one of those is 10 items or less, thing?  I know it has to do with staffing and all but it's still irritating.  And don't even get me started on the parking lot and all the people who are too busy to push the cart the extra 10 feet to the return area.  

I live in a small town, the same small town where I grew up and I'm just amazed at people who move to a place like this for the atmosphere but who apparently have no intention of contributing to it.  They bring their big city attitudes and make me seriously consider moving out to the middle of nowhere.  I'm a gregarious person by nature but I cannot abide rudeness from anyone. 

I would consider employing a service for grocery store trips, if there was one available.  Just so I could get a breather and maybe then I wouldn't feel like I was traversing into hell every time I went to the store.  I think Amazon should start offering ordering groceries online.  That would be amazing as I'm one of the few people left who don't feel comfortable going in my pajamas.  


Ultimately, it's just one of the necessary evils in life and I need to suck it up and deal with it best I can.  Also I know most people are fairly decent and it's just a few bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us.  But it seems like the bad apples are multiplying faster than the good eggs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment